Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Reminisce Session #3 1991 Air Jordan 6 White/Infared.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The Air Jordan 6 is one of the few Air Jordans left that hasn't been whored out by Nike and Jordan Brand. Until the 6/17 countdown pack came out in May, the Black Infareds were the only OG 6 to release. I wonder why? Even though I was 10 and 11 when this shoe was new, this is when I really started getting into shoes and wanting them so the Air Jordan 6 is very special to me. I also met my best friend James because of these. We met in 5th grade when he had these and I had the black infareds and that started everything.....James hasn't had a pair of Jordans since. He's an adidas head now. The only Nike he has is some Air Alpha Force 2 in black/grey that I've never seen before, but we became friends over these 6's. He still says that his were better all these years later. He says this because Grade school Black Infareds were made out of leather. His were made out of leather too but so were the adult sizes. They changed this when they retroed the Black Infareds in 2000 though. This was also around the same time I started watching Basketball for real and even though I'm a Laker fan that bleeds purple and gold....and I love them enough to get their insignia tatooed on my left arm, the only time I can stomach watching them lose in an NBA final is 1991. This is when the Bulls finally broke through the hated Pistons and a Laker team that was good, but wasn't "Real" Showtime even though Magic was there. MJ was wearing these shoes in the second half of that regular season that led them to 61 wins and 21 losses to get the #1 spot in the east over the Pistons, The Celtics, and the 76ers. Had he not took care of business in these...other than the 1991 allstar game in Charlotte, the Black Infareds wouldn't have seen the hardwood.

These shoes are so awesome. But....being realistic....all Nike and Jordan Brand would do is make the red a darker true red like they did on the 2001 Black/Red Retro 11 and the 2006 White/Red Retro 14. It wouldn't be the same. Now, some won't agree, but the White/Maroon and Sport/September Blue pairs were boring to me then and now.....I'm not sure how they'd do now, but I don't remember many people having them then either....the most visible person with the Sport/September Blues was Jerry Seinfeld. MJ wore them once in Magic's All Star Charity game in Summer 1991.

These with INFARED...not TRUE RED would fly...Nike Air or not.....maybe we'll see them next year. I just don't trust JB though...they'd do some fuckery like make them a quickstrike or even worse a hyperstike.

No comments: